Thursday, July 30, 2009

SmugMugged

I have officially been mugged.

Fortunately instead of being beaten senseless and lacking a wallet, I have been merely taken in by an excellent photo hosting service.

Actually, the term "photo hosting service" is doing Smug Mug quite a large disservice. It's essentially a fully customizable way to showcase a portfolio or even run a business. It is certainly an excellent place to host photos, but the amount features they offer for both basic and truly advanced customization are extremely impressive. The standard layouts are very nice, and offer an instant, pleasing way to showcase photos, with the added ability to print high quality prints in just about any size imaginable.

The real power behind SmugMug though is the nuts and bolts customization offered through HTML/Java/CSS re-coding of nearly the entire site. There are some incredibly talented coders and web developers (i.e. not me), who have taken the base framework and completely re-worked it to make some amazing custom sites.

Fortunately, for those of us who never bothered to learn how to actually code for web development, they have an extensive resource/knowledge base in the Digital Grin Forums. Here, many of the aforementioned talented individuals are more than willing to provide whatever advice is asked for on coding for style.

After pouring through the tutorials, forums, and FAQ's, I have finally come up with a format that I think is passable, which can be found here:

Will Robbins Photography

I am still refining the formatting and layout, and hope to eventually go beyond the basic black theme, but for the time being I'm not ashamed showing it to others.

If you are so inclined, feel free to leave me a comment on the layout/format and let me know what you think.

Also, since this is a photo blog, here's a cute picture of our cat, Nalla:

1 comment:

  1. I love this picture of Nalla. What a beautiful cat! Your photo site looks great. Very professional, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete